Homeless Connect relies on more than 350 volunteers to ensure the event is a success. Volunteers perform critical roles such as:
- Registration/Exit Survey: Conducting intake and exit surveys, helping guests navigate the registration lines, running supplies when needed. The intake surveys are done electronically on tablets. Only volunteers who are comfortable working with a technology should apply for this position.
- Greeters: Homeless Connect is about respect and inclusion. Greeters set the tone, shaking hands with guests as they arrive, ensuring they feel welcome, and directing them to registration. Greeters may also be asked to guard doorways/exits, help people to find restrooms, and provide general information about the event.
- Guides: Once a guest has registered, a guide meets them and directs them to the services they need. A guide is a guest’s host, ensuring they receive the services and information they need. Guides walk with guests through the event and help them to find the services they are seeking. Guests may want a guide to stay with them for their entire stay at the event, or may not want a guide to help them at all.
- Special Ops: Our special ops volunteers cover a variety of services offered at Homeless Connect. These services include:
- Child Care Registration - registering families, taking pictures of the child and logging them into the system.
- Hair - sweeping hair, helping with line control, etc.
- Clothing - organizing and sorting clothing, helping guests find what they need, etc.
- Serving Coffee
- Meal Service - helping families and people with mobility issues get meals, ticking off wrist bands, line control, clearing plates, etc.
- Photography Registration
- Buggy/Coat Check - taking in items and handing out tickets to guests.
- Floaters: All of the above! Our floater volunteers assist each area and give much needed breaks to those volunteering for the entire day. As a floater volunteer, you can be asked to perform a number of tasks throughout the event. It is also important to consider that floaters do experience down time and are not busy every second of the event.
All volunteers work closely with our guests. This event is very hands on and volunteers are asked to do a lot of lifting, standing and moving. At this time, there are VERY limited positions available for those with mobility issues. Please make sure to specify if you have any issues with standing, heavy lifting or walking on your application form.
New volunteers are asked to attend a mandatory training session prior to the event. This session is approximately one hour in length and goes through the important aspects of the event, as well as gives the volunteers an opportunity to meet their Team Leads and ask questions.
The event has two time slots available for volunteers: All day shifts (8:30am-3:30pm) or Morning shifts (8am-12:30pm). Depending on the amount of activity, volunteers may be sent home early by their team leads.
Unfortunately, we are unable to accept groups of volunteers for this event. Should you have a group of people that are interested in volunteering, please sign up as individuals and state on the volunteer application what group you are with. The volunteer coordinator will try to keep groups together, but there is no guarantee that groups will be placed together.
Homeless Connect encourages youth to volunteer at the event. Youth 12-16 years of age must be accompanied 1:1 by a parent or guardian. All youth under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian sign their waiver. Unfortunately due to liability reasons, we cannot have anyone under the age of 12 volunteer at the event.
Set Up/Tear Down
Homeless Connect takes a lot of man power to get the event set up and taken down in a timely manner. Volunteers able to come early before their shift or stay after 3:30pm to help our team are greatly appreciated. We are also looking for volunteers who are interested in coming just to help with tear down starting at 3pm.
Would you like to register to volunteer?
Please check back in September for volunteer opportunities, or join our mailing list to be privy to volunteer registration openings.